Church History

sunny place welcome

 

Our History

Sunny Place began in the late 1950’s, when a very small group of believers, meeting in a home in Wood Dale, merged with a small Church of God congregation that was meeting in a school in Melrose Park. They bought some property in Bensenville that had two small houses on it, and converted one into a parsonage, and the other into a worship facility. The congregation soon outgrew the sanctuary and classrooms, and in 1969, added on a beautiful new worship center that we worship in today.

Over the years, Sunny Place has served in leading people to Christ, nurturing families and individuals in the teachings and ways of Christ, and preparing many for God’s service in ministry and world mission’s. Teaching and Missions has always been strong here, and while many people have worshiped and served faithfully at Sunny Place, there has also always been a strong sense of family here, too.

Pete Weber has been the pastor at Sunny Place since 2002. He is an ordained minister in the Church of God (Anderson, IN), was a youth leader at Sunny Place for 13 years, and met his wife, Carla, there when he was a teenager. He and Carla were married (at Sunny Place) in 1976. Pete was born in Germany, in 1955, grew up in Chicago (since 1956), has an MSCS degree from DePaul University, and retired in 2001 from a 23 year career as an computer science engineer at Lucent Technologies, in Naperville, IL. Pete has attended Sunny Place since 1969. He served in all facets of ministry and leadership there, and is passionate about following Christ, and teaching others to do the same.